01 July 2007

Checklist

Walk at Graduation Ceremony...Check!
It was pretty cool to go through the ceremony and wear my hood. Even though it was nine-thousand degrees out and we were sitting in the middle of the soccer field in black robes. I think I did better than my family, though, who wussed out and went into the union to get some air-conditioned bliss as soon as I was done walking! I guess I don't blame them, though, since there were a million other students to sit through.

Throw a Huge Party in My Amazon-Inspired Backyard...Check!
Had a great party, with Jason at the grill (despite issues with the charcoal), beer flowing like water, mom playing the role of hostess, Brian hula-hooping and tending the fire, and everyone enjoying a nice time. The evening came to a close with a trip to Sancho's Broken Arrow and Pete's Kitchen for a breakfast burrito and gyros.


Entertain Out-Of-Towners...Check!

My best friend Lindsay and her husband Jeff came into town for a vaca before I head out. Had a blast with them, including a few really lazy days. We caught a Rockies/Royals game, tried to drive over Guanella Pass (but got stopped at the top with snow drifts), ate some yummy meals, caught 'Trampled by Turtles' at Quixote's, and wreaked some havoc on the Lego store. A good time was had by all!

Finish Thesis...Check!
After months of "working on it", I finally got my paper done and did my presentation for my committee. Mom came for moral support and knitted in the back of the room the whole time. I was more nervous than I wanted to be when I gave my talk, but it did go well, and I didn't fail. Feel free to call me 'Master.'

Pack up Denver Apartment and Move Home with Mom and Dad...Check!
After I was done with my paper and talk, mom and I got to work on packing and cleaning my house. I can't believe how much stuff I've amassed in the 4 years I've been in that place. And I even got rid of most of my furniture! It's the little things that'll get you.

See Some Live Music Before Leaving the Country...Check!
Brian and I caught Particle at Cervantes before I left Denver. It was an awesome show!! We got to stand right at the stage for most of the show and danced our butts off. Ran into my friend 'Crazy Melissa' near the end of the show and got to hang out with her for a little while afterward in the green room. Which, by the way, has to be the worst green room in rock and roll history. Now, I'm no expert on green rooms, but I can't imagine it gets worse than this one. The band was actually packing up their stuff rather than hanging in the green room. That's how bad it is.

In a totally different scene, Jason and I saw Jerry Joseph in Jackson, WY this past Tuesday night. We decided to stay in town that night, instead of driving back to the cabin. This meant we stayed at a campground where he slept in the back of his truck and I slept in a little tent he's had for 20+ years. It was nice, though, because neither of us had to drive. On the downside, there were about 392 geese and their goslings that found it necessary to come through camp at the crack of hell the next morning. Hangover + Geese = Not so Happy Jenny.

The show was spectacular! Jerry played all of our favorites, 3 of them at my request. It was totally rocking--a great show to leave with! After the show, we walked back to the campground through the town square and took a picture in front of the famous antler arch...probably the only one of the two of us there. Good times!

Also on the list:
Get Colombian Visa...working on it.
Finish Thank-You Notes...working on it.
Send Ahead Some Goods...looking into it.
Enjoy Time with Family...working on it, one by one.
Let Mom Spoil Me...always working on it.
Pack Stuff...not looking forward to working on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoy your time at home--being spoiled! July 23 will come super fast! I'm already ready to come visit (I already need a vacation-hee hee.)